This is a rough draft for a Fine Arts poem that I am going to enter. Fine Arts is an event where hundreds of Assemblies of God youth groups get together to showcase their talents, like singing, dancing, acting, painting, writing, and so on. Last year I wrote a poem for it and got a good score, so this year I want to do it again.
The poem I have is basically about the creation story in the most abstract, confusing imagery I could, while still telling the same thing. I've already finished my rough draft, and I'd like all you people to read it and give me some constructive critisism on how to improve it.
Anyway, here it is:
Through the darkened space of nothing
Light engulfs unending voids
Alights upon a dusty something
And makes a greenish asteroid.
Condensed, the sky, in liquid thunder
Confined to lap against the land
To carry beasts that glide in water
And offer life to drying hands.
Then creatures rise to dwell in splendor
Brought to be by words alive
These noble souls reflect the wonder
That dusty things can be and thrive.
The Kind then stoops in unused soil
A place untouched by living light
And with His hands the King thus toils
Imbues a form with His own life.
A soul ignites withing this nothing
He joins the King upon His throne
And though he was a dusty something
The King has always loved him so.
Tell me what you think and how I might make it better!
~ Olivia :)
Maybe "landing on a dust something" so light isn't repeated so close together. Maybe "a soul ignites, passing into nothing"? Since I'm assuming that means he's dying but it's unclear with the "withing this nothing" ending. Hope this helps! It's beautifully written and very descriptive. I'm sure you'll go far in the competition!
ReplyDeleteCool thanks! The soul ignites part is supposed to be how life started in the man's body that was made of dust. So, I should probably change it so that it's a bit easier to understand.
Deleteare you still online lol
ReplyDeleteI still check this blog for messages and such but no one has posted in a while! We need to get everyone posting again and get some convos going!
Delete